Friday, May 20, 2011

Christ Has Died and Christ Has Risen. Alleluia!

In our new sanctuary, the crucifix emphasizes the work of redemption, the stained glass window emphasizes the person of Christ as our Redeemer who lives and reigns to all eternity.  In the Old Testament scriptures Job confesses, "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!" (Job 19:25-27, ESV)  Although we did not see the resurrected Christ with our own eyes, the stained glass window will continually remind us of the hope that we have.  As we gather to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd here in time, we confess with Job saying, “I know that my Redeemer lives and one day in my resurrected body I shall see Him for myself.”  

The image of the resurrected Christ testifies that the redemption upon the cross has been completed.  As St. Paul teaches us, “[Jesus] was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification." (Romans 4:24-25, ESV)  His death is the payment for the sin of the world.  His life is the absolution of the world.  All of our sins have been forgiven.  Theologically and architecturally, the contrast between the plain wood of the crucifix and the brilliant colors of the window are striking.  The body on the cross is lifted up in order to draw all people to Him while the living Christ in the window stands upon the earth just like Job said to invite all people to come to Him.  The death of Jesus was a dark day filled with mourning.  The resurrection of Jesus was a day of light filled with joy.  The placement of the window over the altar will allow for rays of sunlight to illuminate the space with the brilliance of colored glass.  In this space, we can confidently say, “I believe that Christ has redeemed me and I know that my Redeemer lives!”

The crucifixion and resurrection of Christ go together.  You can’t have one without the other.  If Christ has not been raised, then our faith is futile.  If Christ had not been crucified, then our debt still stands.  After the day of Pentecost, the Apostles began to proclaim the message of salvation, namely, that Christ has died for us and Christ has risen for us. 

Rev. Brian L. Kachelmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment